Here is my final update to my earlier posts. It is October 30th today, and pretty much no chance of me play again until I go to Phoenix in February.
1. Play more for fun.
Harder than it sounds, a lot of stuggling this year, so it has not always been fun. - August
I would say that I lowered my expectations and played much better in September and October.
2. Get properly fit for a driver
Done, hit it good when I focus. Taylor Made r7 in the bag now. A good club.
3. Upon return from Phoenix, change workout routine to be more golf focused
Not done, lazy bastard!
Ditto
4. Pick a favourite ball and stick to themIt is difficult to find the right ball. Prov 1's are great, but $5 a ball is silly. Have settled on Maxfli Noodle, Long and Soft. $22 a dozen. Also gound out that Pinnacle Exceptions are great balls as well.
5. Get all clubs regrippedDone, this will be an every season first.
6. Work on your grip everyday
Pretty close to doing this. I swing a club every day. I now actually have to weaken it a bit as I am hooking the ball too much.
7. Get to the Dome at least twice before Phoenix
I think I did that.
8. Get to the range at least twice before Phoenix
It was too damn cold, I was no where near the place. This summer I think I hit balls 3 or 4 times, compared to 20 or 30 times in years past. But I practiced a ton on the course.
9. After Phoenix, get to the range/dome once a week
I think we went once
10. StretchLazy bastard
11. Workout at least 4 times a week before golf season
Lazy bastard
12. Workout at least 3 times a week during golf season
Lazy bastard
13. Chip and putt everyday
When I'm at the course I do this, have not putted or chipped much in the house this summer. Lotsa putting and chipping will be done this winter.
14. Have no expectations until May 15th
This caused me to allow my handicap to slip to 12.5 during that time, that was ugly. I certainly will not do that again.
15. Get Noah, Diana and Barb out to the course often.Approx count : Noah - 13, Diana - 4, Barb - 0
16. Don’t lose your cool in front of them
Depends what this means, I've been better, but not perfect.
17. Play one shot at a time
Uhh, no. A little better as the season wore on. I really need to learn how to finish.
18. Hit the ball from the inside
Harder than it sounds, more than 1/2 of my hits are coming across the ball, this needs to stop. I am MUCH better at this now, a lot of good ball striking occurred since the switch to stack and tilt.
19. Play the club championship again (1st or champ flight)Played in the first flight and came in a tie for 10th. I easily could have won or Top 5 if I just would have played to my handicap. I played well in the Transcona Open (shot 81) and played well in the Stableford. I was tied for 2nd in the Stableford and came 3rd in the overall points race. Club Champioship is what cost me the most. Will settle for nothing but a victory in the points race next year.
20. Play some practice days with just one club
Not yet, but will do that soon. Was always working on something. I'll try to do that early next year.
21. Never hate the game
There are moments when I do, but it usually passes.
22. always love the game
This is the best game in the world.
23. Take lessons only if you start hating the game
Done, but have decided to ignore the lesson and have switched my swing to stack and tilt. Gonna give it a year to see if I can make improvements.
So far, massive improvements in ball striking and flight. A hook will be an issue once in a while, but have really gained distance and GIR is way up.
24. Be humble in tournaments
I would say I have done this.
25. Give your best effort on every shot
Well, I try. The best part is, I can usually figure out what happened right after a bad shot.
26. Know your yardage
Thank you sky caddie! Best gadget I have ever bought. The new swing has changed the yardage I hit clubs, especially the short irons. That will still be a work in progress.
27. Take more club
Yup, funny how that works.
28. Play more break
Oddly, does not work that well at Transcona.
29. You should like every club in your bag and what to hit it when the shot calls for it
I still hate my 3 wood, never should have bought that damn thing. It's out of my bag for now. Will have the 16 degree reshafted this winter and I would guess will not need the three wood next year.
30. Only carry 14 clubs, that’s one of the rules.
When it counts, that's all I carry.
31. Relax
When I'm not mad, sure.
32. Don’t think about golf in between shots
Much of this will depend on who I'm playing with. some guys will just yack away about golf. shaddap!!
33. When practicing, 60% short game, 40% long game
Yup! This winter, it will be more like 80/20. This was easily the difference between my sub 80's this year.
34. When practicing, always have a target
Yup!
35. Don’t buy anymore e-books
Yup!
36. Read Harvey Penick and Ben Hogan often.
Read Harvey all the time. Hogan, not so much.
37. Learn to hook the ball
This has been the cause of the most penalties I have taken in the last 3 or four years. But it is a necessary evil. The balls goes farther when it is drawn. I will get control of it this year.
38. Make par on every hole at Transcona – all season goal
Done, I actually did this before May 15th.
39. Make birdie on every hole at Transcona – all season
Only have birdied 1, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17. so 7 more holes to go. This is a big stretch as I very rarely hit 4 or 18 in reg. 11 out of 18 is really not that bad. Next year will go for all but 4 & 18
40. Shoot in the 70’s 10 times
6 and counting. Ended up doing this 8 times
41. Shoot in the 90’s less than 5 times
5 times already..ouch! Thankfully, I stayed on this number.
42. Stay honest
No point not being honest.
43. Play by the rules
Within reason, the lost ball rule is dumb and causes more delays in this game that I can shake a stick at.
44. Make an eagle
Not yet, haven't had the perfect two shots together yet this year. Never had any real opportunities all year. even in scambles.
45. hit more greens
Hitting less this year..grrrr. This has greatly improved since stack and tilt. Have hit as many as 9 in a round which is a lot for me.
46. Drive the ball in play
Less in play this year than last year. Was a little better in the last two months, but still the odd duck hook that would cost me.
47. Take your lumps
Oh yeah, and I have taken a lot this year.
48. Pretend the $5 game is $500..maybe you will win more
I've never remembered this one. I guess I think I'm wealth because I can play this game.
49. Start the search for new irons
done, beauties. Really are nice clubs.
50. Walk more
I would say I have walked just a little more this year than last year. Finally walked 7 holes with Noah yesterday. I think he liked it more than he let on.
I played 65 rounds of gold this year, and I think I walked about 55 of them.
51. Buy a good pair of shoes
Done, Footjoy Contours, awesome!
52. Always look like a golfer
I'm starting to look more like Craig Stadler everyday! I always wore a proper shirt, pants or shorts, and a clean hat.
53. Buy the swing glove
Done, its a good reminder.
54. Buy a sky caddie
Done, and this thing is really cool.
55. Always bring food and water to the courseAlways, really has helped me make it through the back of the course with no problem. Forgot my bagel one day and nearly died, this is really important. Water especially is very important in the summer.
56. Always tip the servers
Always! In fact, I think I'm too generous sometime. Makes up for some of the cheap bastards that don't tip.
57. Tip the pro shop guys at the beginning of the season
I didn't do that, so will have to catch the boys at the end of the season.
And I didn't do that either, now who is cheap. Each of them got $5 at one point for some regripping, but they deserve better. Next year for sure.
58. Arrange 6 to 10 games with friends this year
Sadly, only 4 times this year
59. Make sure you get plenty of sleep
Sleep is overrated. I read that Tiger only sleeps about 5 hours a night. I get about 6, and usually have a nap or two for a couple extra hours here and there.
60. Take a break from golf a few times during the year
I'll take a break when it snows! Really, the month of October was just playing on the weekend with no practice days at all. It was a good year.
61. Win…anything..once
Not yet. Was 5 points away from being runners up in the point series. That was tough as gave it away on the last 2 holes of the stableford.
62. Volunteer at an event
Always seems to be on a weekday.
63. Always make it a goal to have 18 putts for par
It is usually about 16 for 18 on this, not bad.
64. Play a few rounds by giving yourself an extra shot for a GIR
Not yet. This will be deleted as a goal next year. Gotta go when you can.
65. Play a round where you always lay up to a good wedge distance
Not yet. See above
66. Warm up..always
I wish we had a real range. Will have to join Kenny more often next year.
67. Ride your bike to course as much as you can
bought a new car instead!
68. putt the ball to the hole..always
85% of the time I do this, more than the average guy, that's for sure.
69. chip and pitch, everyday
Sometimes when I'm at home, I just want to be with my family. Watch the silly summertime TV and do nothing.
70. keep handicap under 10 for the whole season after May 15th
I've been close here, it was 12.5 on May 15th, sitting at 10.2 right now.
And I finished at 10.2. No reason I can't get down to an 8 next year before the club series.
71. Hands ahead of the ball
Still a work in progress. But coming along quite nicely.
72. Never throw a club
I'm afraid this is a good drill for tension reduction.
73. Buy a round of drinks for the boys
Haven't won enough money to do this yet. Although when i had guests, they did not pay for their food.
74. Play five different courses this year
Done. Clear Lake, cottonwood, Niakwa, Quarry Oaks, Transcona, Falcon (finally) Kingswood
75. Fix your ball marks
Yup
76. Makes divots
Not always, but this is pretty regular now. Gotta remember the seed bottle.
77. Fix your divots
Always
78. Always bring a seed bottle with you
Usually
79. Play in the rain
Played one tournament where the rain gear was on a good part of the day.
Was actually pretty lucky this year as far as rain goes.
80. Learn to use the wind to your advantage
Most of the time, the wind really hurts my chances. Still a work in progress.
81. Aim
A constant battle, my alignment gets messed up.
82. Develop a pre shot routine
Done. Look at the target from behind. Lift my hat up and re-adjust, set up behind the ball, one more look at the target. 3 waggles and go.
83. Develop a pre putt routine
Done. read the putts, two pratice strokes and go.
84. Pick a way to putt and stick with it
switched to the claw early in the year and have putted pretty good this year.
85. Play in a charity event that you pay for yourself
I have given a lot to charity and in the event I have played, have given a lot.
Played in the Autism Society tourney in September. Great day and gave a lot to charity that day.
86. Right elbow to your side on the downswing
Work in progress. But very essential to stack and tilt.
87. Plant your left foot to start the downswing
hard not to do this. Stack and tilt demands that you stay on the left side, so this is an important fundamental.
88. One or two thoughts per swing, that’s it!
really hard to do this. Stay on left side..hit it hard!
89. Focus on results, not methods
agreed. I can make par from anywhere.
90. Try no coffee before a round
a few really early morning rounds where done this way. Does not really make a big difference. coffee makes me a better person!
91. Play 36 holes one day
Done
92. Play 54 holes one day
Not enough light to pull this off this year. Although I did play 45 one day. My legs were rubber the next morning.
93. Play when the sun just rises
Done
94. Play till its darkDone
95. Play in March if you can
Too much snow, nothing was open here. Did play in Phoenix in February
96. Play in November if you can
Will see!
97. Take care of your back
Barb bought be a balance bracelet and I have had steady chiro care, back feels great!
98. Hit the middle of the green
I wish, but happening more often..sometime I get greedy or dumb!
99. Always say, “this is easy, you can do this”
Only do this about 10% of the time.
100. Bring slurpees home often
Oh yeah. If I have accomplished any goal this year, this is it. Must have consumed 4 solids months of slurpees 4 to 5 times a week.
So, was this a succesful year? I played 65 full 18 holes rounds, 10 tournaments and 900 holes of practice. Some days it looked like I could swing and somedays it was very bad. I switched to stack and tilt in the middle of August and it has taken time to trust it and to live with the weird shots. Short game was everywhere this year and really need to spend a lot of time with my putter this winter and then spend a lot of time on the practice green next year. This is a great game and I really think my 41st year on this earth with be my best as far as golf playing goes.
Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
LMAO at #72!
'specially 'cause you BROKE A CLUB doing that this year (:
Post a Comment