Monday, February 5, 2007

Book Review - Pursuit of Happyness

Hi All,

My apologies to my family for not updating this blog more often. As previously discussed I love to read and have actually read at least 3 books since my last review. Today I will discuss Chris Gardners "The Pursuit of Happyness" I saw the movie with my wife late last year and I really liked it. When she saw it in the bookstore I snapped it up quickly. The story starts when Chris is quite young and take us through a childhood that could have been a whole other movie. From an abusive step father, to a rape, relationships with his "Moms" to all sorts of things, good and bad it was a fascinating read. What he overcame during this part of his life was truly inspiring. After high school, he goes on to the military, and a short career in the medical field before he finally starts at Dean Witter. The movie departs from what really happened with little Chris' mom, and how they separated, but many of the things that occurred in the movie truly did happen. My disappointment is with the way they decided to do the movie. It could have told the whole story of who Chris Gardner is. He is a great leader, philanthropist and an inspiration to anyone who wants to make a dream true. I was personally in a rut here at work, but after reading this story, it made me want to get off my butt and do something about it. a must read.

No comments: